Did you feel it?
Did You Feel It? (DYFI) collects information from people who felt an earthquake and creates maps that show what people experienced and the extent of damage. - Visit the "Did You Feel It?" FAQ at the USGS web site
Did you feel it - Felt Report - Tell Us!
How it helps us:
How it helps others:
- Immediate high quality and large quantity of data.
- Cost-effective means of collecting data (replaced expensive and slow postal questionnaires).
- Helps constrain instrumental data used for ShakeMap and PAGER.
- Provides data in areas where there are no seismic instruments.
- Provides data for smaller earthquakes that we can't normally record.
How it helps you:
- Provides a rapid assessment of the extent of shaking and damage for emergency responders.
- Confirms experiences of shaking for other people.
Some interesting and unusual observations: Mapped out the trajectory of a space shuttle re-entry across Southern California.Sonic booms...
- You learn the difference between magnitude and intensity.
- Helps you feel more in control of your experience.
- Opportunity to share your experience with others.
- Opportunity to contribute to the advancement of earthquake science.